This tangy cosmopolitan is perfect for an early November day that feels remarkably like summer (or Thanksgiving, a Sex and the City marathon, poll-watching party or simply a refreshing end to a long day). Made with 100% cranberry juice and a generous squeeze of fresh lime juice, it does not skimp on tartness. Though the alcohol content may scream BOOZEY, trust that it’s a well-balanced, not-so-sweet take on a classic cocktail.
Instead of partaking in this drink on election night — despite the hue, it’s a winner regardless of political affiliation — I’ll be hydrating and getting a good night’s rest. Why? It’s all in preparation for donating blood on Wednesday. Assistance for the victims of Hurricane Sandy is still greatly needed, so I encourage those who are able to make an appointment to give blood or donate money to the American Red Cross, Mayor’s Fund to Advance New York City or other reputable organization (a great list can be found here). My thoughts go out to everyone affected by the storm.
Very Cranberry Cosmo
Preparation Time: 1 minute
- 2 ounces (57 grams or 1/4 cup) 100% cranberry juice (not cranberry juice cocktail)
- 1 1/2 ounces (42 grams or 3 tablespoons) Tito’s vodka or other gluten-free vodka
- 1 ounce (28 grams or 2 tablespoons) Cointreau
- 1/2 ounce (14 grams or 1 tablespoon) lime juice
- 1 teaspoon (4 grams) granulated white sugar
- Lime slice or wedge for garnish (optional)
Combine cranberry juice through sugar in a cocktail shaker or Mason jar. Add ice, cover and shake vigorously until cold. Strain into a glass (martini or champagne coupe), garnish and serve immediately.